Thursday, March 19, 2009

Zeroing in on Researching

My sights are now set on getting prepared to start my the actual grounded theory coding, so this post will be about planning. I have a window while my IRB is getting approved, so I need to take full advantage of that time.

IRB Window
--Rrice has draft, may need some edits, hopefully signed and to the IRB no later than 3/27
--IRB approval optimistically in 10 working days, but it could be more. IRB approval by 4/13-4/27?

So I have roughly three to six weeks to get ready. That's lots of time. To be honest, I should have had this IRB done in mid-January. Nevertheless, I will work within the constraints I have and try to make full use of this time.

Preparation Tasks: (not in any especial order)
  1. Secure access for Fred to copy of TOPIC from Susan
  2. Work with Fred and Rich for what I will want from the database and what might be my first slice of data
  3. Brainstorm and get input on just how I will approach this mountain of data--initially, the most important thing is to determine what will be my first slice of data
  4. Secure copies of each of the textbooks/curriculum guides for 1301/1302 for 2004-2006 (I have some of them already, but I think I have to scramble for the others). Review this curriculum.
  5. Review how to do grounded theory coding, perhaps practice a bit with other writing examples (maybe peer responses or something)
  6. Get a couple of other grounded theory analysis books via ILL
  7. Explore if I will use a qualitative analysis software program like ATLAS-TI or NVIVO and practice using the tool
  8. Do a theoretical bias inventory--that is, lay out my thoughts on what I think and the theories I have about rhetorical reflection. This must be carefully done. Which leads to next point--
  9. Investigate and get some help about how to code and balance one's theory and observations.
  10. Make a plan for what my "pilot" study will be--that is, what will I do (in a rigorous and systematic way...) to process my "pilot" study (which is my first slice of data)
  11. Make initial investigations about what might be possible eventually with larger scale "data-mining" within the database and the eventual qualitative analysis of quantitative data (I've had some correspondence with Gloria McMillan on this subject)
I think this is a pretty thorough list, and I'm glad I have a bit of time to prepare. If by chance you can spot any other things that might need to be done or specific suggestions for individual tasks, please let me know.

That's the plan for now. I'm going to tape it up on my wall...

No comments:

About Writing

Writing is always more precise and less precise than our thoughts: that is why our writing pieces glow with being and beckon with the promis...