Sunday, September 7, 2008

Entering the Next Stage

OK. I "think" that my pre-proposal is good to go. I still need to hear from Fred and Becky, but Rich has given his nod. The proposal still has a number of weaknesses, particularly around the research questions. I received feedback too that I need to put the problem in a larger context. We have a number of problems with reflection in the area of assessment; my focus is different. Somehow I need to get that context across.

Here is the best feedback I could have gotten which was a classic Elbowian SAYBACK from Alec:
"Okay, here's what your proposal told me: Reflection is important but it isn't being utilized the way it should be, nor do we really know if its working to its potential. Thus, my diss. will use a new method (grounded theory) to come up with a new theory related to reflection to help us (teachers) use it in our classes to our advantage." --bingo

Thank you Alec!

I may need to do some revision to the proposal from here, but I think it is mostly in good to go shape. Now where to go?

My direct focus now needs to be on my reading list. I have to have to have to get a draft of that produced and out by Sept. 30. This should be interesting. I have a good portion of it done, but not everything. I have a lot of materials from past course work to infuse into my list. I suppose I can try to put everything in and then trim out as needed. I also need to do more research on the research on reflection (for the reading list and my 4Cs presentation). That should be my focus right now.

I wonder if shooting to take the Quals in Jan is too fast? I can tell I would probably benefit from more time reading and "fleshing out" what I know from the literature. It will be a gallup in the Fall, particularly if I try to do a pilot study this fall. I guess I will take one step at a time--reading list for now and then we shall see.

No comments:

About Writing

Writing is always more precise and less precise than our thoughts: that is why our writing pieces glow with being and beckon with the promis...