Thursday, January 11, 2007

NWP New Sites Institute

I'm off early tomorrow morning for the NWP New Sites Institute in Oakland. It should be a great time. I should have a good amount of time to think about my research on the flight there, and the big bonus is I'll get to stay with my brother.

I'm hoping to look through our class transcript and think about my past experience researching reflection. What did I do right? What did I do wrong? I also want to look again at overviews of various method between my MacNealy book and the article we read in class.

I want to think/rethink what my real question is? Becky mentioned a problem as being the starting point of research? What's my problem? It is interesting that Becky and Amy decided to do these type of "reflection-in-action" or what I'm tending to call in-task reflections (as opposed to post-task reflections) for our class. That's what I am continually doing in this blog. Maybe I could study our class!

Bad news from Susan Lang about the changes to the comp program at TTU. It sounds like they are only doing two drafts per essay cycle which means only one in-task reflection. I'm beginning to think that three drafts are needed for real development and growth. It looks like I may not be able to use data from TTU students. Maybe I could?

1 comment:

Rich said...

I agree with you that the changes in the program seem radical. How did the NWP New Sites Institute go? If I get tenure at TTU, you and I need to talk about creating a West Texas NWP program.

About Writing

Writing is always more precise and less precise than our thoughts: that is why our writing pieces glow with being and beckon with the promis...